According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have bugs or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to ask Contra Costa Heating & AC in the Bay Area about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the experts at Contra Costa Heating & AC. A yearly evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Checking your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts open.
More ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and change them when necessary.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your the Bay Area home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Contra Costa Heating & AC at 510-343-9841 or make an appointment online.