Spring is in the air here in the Bay Area and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Contra Costa Heating & AC team has some recommendations that will assist in keeping your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home appear as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to sync up with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your awesome trip on social media, but try to hold off until after you make it home to post anything about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as excited about the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to conserve energy while you’re out of town is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Contra Costa Heating & AC in the Bay Area a call at 510-343-9841.