Whether you like winter or desire the warmer months in the Bay Area, many of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Check weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your home warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it should be changed. We advocate at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can arrange temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—even with your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The team at Contra Costa Heating & AC can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Contra Costa Heating & AC in the Bay Area a call to get started. Give us a shout at 510-343-9841 or arrange an appointment with us online.