Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little misfortune, but we sometimes see heat pump troubles in the Bay Area during the winter time, when they’re needed the most to keep you comfortable. While you know the team at Contra Costa Heating & AC will forever be there ASAP when you need us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to confirm that a repair is needed and save yourself some cash if it’s not. We’ve collected this checklist of things to try before you give us a call.
- It may sound ridiculous, but make sure everything is set to “on”. We’ve been to several calls only to discover the thermostat or the heat pump itself is set to off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t turned on, go back to your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat turned to heat? If yes, increase the temperature by five degrees to test if it turns on.
- If everything looks right, inspect your heat pump switch (if it has one) and check the fuses and circuit breaker that guard the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is an impasse causing your heat pump to fail?
- Try changing the battery, if it has one.
- Examine your air filters inside your air handler to make sure they’re not jamming things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and clear?
If you’ve gone through this checklist and you still need a heat pump maintenance check, call Contra Costa Heating & AC at 510-343-9841 and we’ll get your home back to the welcoming and cozy place you expect this time of year.